Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Feb. 15, 2012: Slow & Steady Wins the Race!

"A pound that stays off permanently, no matter how long it takes to come off, is far more successful than 20 pounds that come off overnight" (Cluff, Douglas Millet, M.D., SvelteLife, 2007).

In the book SvelteLife, Dr. Cluff (2007) asks his readers to think about the pace of a tortoise:
"Losing 12-24 pounds a year is like losing the same volume of fat as a 12-pack or a case of soda!  VERY impressive.  And, it has a much higher chance of staying off!  So each time you are successful at losing a pound (remember, successful = gone forever), celebrate!  I have heard so many people say, "I only lost a pound -  how depressing!"  Now you know you can change your tune to, "Awesome - one down, _ to go!"  Go a pound at a time, and be grateful for each pound." 
Wise words from the MD.  Let's celebrate the small victories as we make permanent changes in our lifestyles.

Today was a good day for my program.  I am still sticking to my three goals: 
   1.) Exercise aerobically for at least 30 minutes, 3 or more times per week.
   2.) Make healthy eating choices at least 80% of the time.
   3.) Limit alcohol intake to 2 or less servings per week.

I ate my Kashi Autumn Wheat w/raisins & almond milk for breakfast.  Lunch should be counted as a victory: We celebrated another baby shower at work.  Okay, the "baby" is actually about a year old.  (We're really bad at party planning and quite the procrastinators.)  Someone bought pizza and ice-cream cake.  I opted for a salad with chicken, olives, & hard boiled egg instead.  I have no regrets!  Snack: Banana & prune.  (Sounds like an old lady diet, huh?  lol.)  For dinner, I had leftover sweet potatoes, hot tea, & a yogurt.  I tried a new flavor and have to say, it tasted more like a dessert than a protein:
Very yummy!
Exercise: I got in a good 30+ minute fast-paced walk after work.  It was a bit chilly out tonight but the walk warmed me up. 

I've had some very positive responses from people by email, in an online community message board, and on Facebook.  I really appreciate the resources that people have been sending.  I am going to take time to go through them and post as appropriate.  My father sent me a recipe for scallops that I hope to try this weekend.  I will be sure to post pictures (as well as the recipe, if it turns out well)!  One friend sent me a message last night that was really touching.  When someone goes out of their way to share with you that something you wrote inspired them, if even in a small way, it's a real blessing.  Her words probably had a greater impact on me than the other way around.  That was cool, and motivating!  So to my friend, thank you for inspiring me!  :>)  I won't share the entire message, but with her permission I am posting part of it because I liked the way she dealt with cravings:
"...While I am not quite ready to eat quite so healthfully, I am making small changes. I have always eaten fruit 3 times a day, and I love running, biking, swimming and do one or the other every day, but my eating habits are less than healthy a lot of the time. However, I haven't purchased any candy in 2 weeks! Major for me! I do miss those chewy snacks, but I brush my teeth instead when I want to eat them!! I am learning that sugar is a drug and it is very addictive. I'm just sticking to a few dark chocolate kisses each day and trying to make healthier choices."
Sugar is a drug!  That is so true!  “If sugar were to be put on the market for the first time today, it would probably be difficult to get it past the FDA”  (Kathleen DesMaisons Potatoes not Prozac, as cited by Marie-Hélène Lyle: The Reclassification of Sugar as a Drug. Lethbridge Undergraduate Research Journal. 2006. Volume 1 Number 1).   

"A drug is defined as “any absorbed substance that changes or enhances any physical or psychological function in the body” (Liska, 1986). For example, as Weil and Rosen state, “Most people would agree that heroin is a drug. It is a white powder that produces striking changes in the body and mind in tiny doses. [...] Sugar is also a white powder that strongly affects the body, and some experts say it affects mental function and mood as well” (1983, p. 9). But the one substance is highly stigmatized in North American culture, whereas the other is highly accepted. Why then do we make a distinction between the two? Often it is easy to make a distinction between good and bad drugs. For instance, we tend to label prescriptive drugs as being good drugs, and drugs taken for the sole purpose of pleasure, such as heroin and alcohol, as bad drugs (Weil and Rosen, 1983, p. 9-11). This qualitative distinction is not based on scientific or medical reasoning, but rather on arbitrary religious and cultural beliefs or political and historical factors. 2 “The difference between Prozac and Ecstasy is mostly a matter of marketing” (South, 1999, p. 3)" (Marie-Hélène Lyle: The Reclassification of Sugar as a Drug. Lethbridge Undergraduate Research Journal. 2006. Volume 1 Number 1).     
The article (above) is a short read.  I recommend clicking on the link.  Although the source is an undergraduate research journal, the author makes compelling evidence for the reclassification of sugar as a drug.   


Brushing teeth to avoid overeating is a smart way to deal with cravings.  I have heard others talk about doing this and finding success.  There is something about having a clean, minty mouth that makes me less likely to eat.  I want the feeling of clean teeth to last more than a nanosecond!  (I find flossing has the same effect.)

My friend already engages in healthy habits: Eating fruit 3x per day and regular exercise, for example.  And now she is limiting the sweets.  When you get other healthy habits in, especially exercise, you can afford a treat now and then.  That's the neat thing.  We don't have to be eating "perfectly healthy" 100% of the time.  That might get a little boring.  But making healthy choices 80% of the time is better than 0 or 10 or 20%  (you get the picture).  Kudos on the positive changes!! 

Well, I'm tired but inspired.  ;>)  So I will end my blog for the evening.  Thank you again for all those supportive comments.  I appreciate it!  Ciao for Now!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Don't forget to join this site!
Click on the "Join This Site" link on the right hand side, under the heading "Followers".

Read more about the 90-Day Challenge!

Also, don't forget that you can post YOUR GOALS HERE

Click HERE for additional Weight/Nutrition/Health resources.
Click HERE for Hep C resources.

No comments:

Post a Comment