Monday, February 13, 2012

Feb. 13, 2012: Soothing the Soul,...

“Those who are prone to stuff themselves with food that makes their bodies unsightly are refusing the food that satisfies and soothes the unhappy soul within (Voices of Recovery: A Daily Reader, Overeaters Anonymous, pg. 44). 

I am not a 12-stepper.  However, some of the OA literature has golden nuggets worth sharing.  Why do we overeat?  Why do we choose the foods that feel good momentarily over foods we know are better for our bodies?  What is missing in our lives that drives us to seek the comfort in food?  And how can we better obtain that in healthier ways?  Some of us may know the answers to these questions.  And for others, it's a lifelong journey of discovery and growth.  So my question for you is, how are you going to find ways to soothe your soul today that don't involve eating or drinking in an unhealthy way?     

On a personal note:  February 13th marks a special day.  It’s my son’s birthday.  He is 27 years old today.  He has been estranged from me and from my family for several years, and I miss him dearly.  I trust that he is doing what he needs to do to take care of himself.  I pray for a bridge between the love he felt, and the love he should have felt during his lifetime.  Even though a parent believes they are raising a child in the best way they can, sometimes it isn’t perceived that way, or it isn’t enough,… or maybe it’s too much.  I would be lying if I didn’t admit that the pain runs deep.  Estrangement can be confusing and isolating.  There is a gamut of emotions that goes along with it that I think only parents going through a similar situation could understand.  As a parent, I never lose hope that one day he can open his heart and communicate.  As a human being, I have learned that, while my door will be open, I cannot sit idly by and wait for him to walk through.  I have to live my life and not stuff the void.  I have to embrace acceptance.     

Estrangement: For any other parents going through estrangement, this is, sadly, a very common and growing problem.  I wanted to post a few resources:

Estranged Parents (Good article)



Back to the 90-Day Challenge: Today marks the 14th day of my program and weigh in day!  I will be sure to post again on today’s blog with the results later this evening.

Soothing the Soul:  I am going to soothe my soul today by taking time out for me.  I am going to go to the gym tonight.  I have some collard greens in my fridge from the farmer's market.  Maybe this would be a good night to make a Clean Eating version of soul food.  I am going to read a little something for enjoyment this evening, maybe play a little music, and/or have some quiet peaceful time (that is, as much peace as I can get in a household of 3 rambunctious cats). 

Have a good February 13th everyone!  
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Weigh In Results:  201.8.  That's 7.2 lbs down in two weeks!!  Yay!  That feels good!  Had a very good workout with my trainer guy.  Next week I start with a new trainer due to schedule conflicts.  I am open to working  out w/someone new.  I'm feeling confident this evening!  :>)


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Don't forget to join this site!
Click on the "Join This Site" link on the right hand side, under the heading "Followers".


Read more about the 90-Day Challenge!


Also, don't forget that you can post YOUR GOALS HERE


Click HERE for additional Weight/Nutrition/Health resources.
Click HERE for Hep C resources.

No comments:

Post a Comment