Monday, October 15, 2012

Week 2, Day 1,...

I love to see measures of progress!  Almost 5 pounds (4.8#) are gone within the first week, according to my home scale.  Usually without fail, week one of any dietary program brings about the best results on the scale. Some participants of the local HMR program proclaimed that they found week 1 to be the most challenging.  If that statement rings true for me, then it should be smooth sailing from here on out!  (Although I am realistic.  I anticipate my attitude may change in a few weeks once I have had the same entrees week after week.  We shall see!) 

I wanted to share a few more photos of some of the HMR foods options:
 Bean & Beef Enchiladas (above) were tasty!  I also tried my hand at making an eggnog shake in the blender.  The recipe was modified from an HMR recipe book.   


Ingredients: 
  • One packet of HMR 800 Vanilla shake powder  
  • 6-8 oz water
  • Ice-cubes 
  • About 1/4 tsp of vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp of rum extract
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg. 

This one surprised me!  The eggnog flavor came through and there was no bitter after taste.  If you love eggnog, I highly recommend this recipe!  I will definitely make this one again. 

Today I had to navigate the diet around another work-related social lunch function (bridal shower complete with chocolate strawberry cake!) at a local Mexican restaurant.  The waitress was very understanding and served me a complimentary bowl of water for my oatmeal packet.  I was chided by my colleagues about being on a program so strict that it only allowed for me to have a hot bowl of water for lunch.  "That may be true", I replied, "but the waitress gave me an extra large portion,..."  Being the gracious diet diva that I am, I insisted that there was plenty to go around and offered to share.  (Surprisingly, nobody chose to partake.)  So then I was stuck with an extra large bowl of water (at least a cup's worth).  I did not want to trouble the waitress again, as she was flitting from table to table, trying to keep up.  I didn't want to completely drown my oatmeal, however, so I poured some into my cup to dilute my coffee.  Then I proceeded to mix up a soupy version of oatmeal.  Ah, well.  Yes, it was worse that the consistency pictured on the "Day 5: Spicing it Up" blog.  But it worked.  It got me through lunchtime without feeling too deprived.  And yes, I did not cheat, not even for an "itsy bitsy" piece of cake!  And I was able to enjoy the shower, which was fun.  The bride-to-be appeared happily surprised, by the way!    
 
That's about all this blogger has for tonight.  Time to turn in.  Just remember, whatever program you are working, you can do this!  In the words of Tim Gunn, "Make it work!" 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Don't forget to join this site: Click on the link on the right hand side of your screen.
Click HERE for additional Weight/Nutrition/Health resources.
Click HERE for Hep C resources.

2 comments:

  1. Way to go getting thru another social event without straying from your plan! You are so brave to bring your own food like that. That kind of commitment and persistance is what is going to give you success. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :>) The waitresses have been surprisingly very good about it! Most restaurants, in my experience, won't heat up any food you bring in, of course, but they don't seem to mind bringing me an extra bowl and some hot water.

      Delete