Sunday, October 14, 2012

Week 1 Reflection:

Today marks the end of my first week on the HMR diet program.  And so far, I am still optimistic and feeling good about it.  Yes, I miss my salads, pizza, spaghetti, beer & wine, but have been having no major cravings.  I am not sitting here thinking, "I absolutely have to have _____".  I am surprised at how relatively in control of my cravings I feel, at least for now.  I feel satisfied and satiated most of the time.  A big key for me was not to let too much time elapse in between my meals.  Even if I don't feel hungry, I need to eat something every few hours.     

I have been enjoying new recipes with the HMR shakes.  My one criticism about the diet is the reliance on the use of artificial sweeteners.  I avoided them before and now find I rely on them to liven things up a bit.  But on the other hand, this is a temporary diet.  I figure the benefits of losing weight outweigh the risks associated with using artificial sweeteners. 
One of the shakes I made yesterday included coconut syrup (Hi Babs!), banana extract, chocolate and chocolate macadamia nut syrups, and rum extract.  It turned out okay.  I think I liked it better when I added just the coconut alone, however.  Again, I can taste a bit of an aftertaste with the artificial sweeteners (but a little is okay).  In fact, now that I am using up the last of my coffee sweetener, I think I am going to switch back to 1% milk to lighten the coffee.    
 
The entrees remain satisfying.  This one was the turkey chili with beans.  As you can tell, a lot of the entrees are tomato-based, which is right up my alley.  There are some that are not, but I tend to gravitate toward those with tomato sauces.  This might get a little old for people who do not care for the red sauces.  There are a few other entrees, such as BBQ chicken, beef stew, etc., that are the exception. 

My goal is to make it through the entire 14 weeks and on to the maintenance plan.  But even if I lose just 10 pounds on this program and keep it off, I will consider it a success.  I keep hearing and reading about the benefits of losing and keeping off an amount as seemingly insignificant as ten pounds, (if you are currently at least ten pounds overweight, that is).  Dr. Oz published an article on the Ten Reasons to Lose Just 10.  The top ten list reads as follows:
  1. A Lower Cholesterol Level
  2. Lower Blood Pressure
  3. Reduced Risk for Heart Attacks
  4. Reduced Risk for Dementia
  5. Reduced Risk for Sleep Apnea
  6. Reduced Joint Pain
  7. Reduced Risk for Cancer
  8. Reduced Risk for Diabetes
  9. Improved Sex Life
  10. Taking Less Medications
 (Retrieved October 14, 2012 from http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/10-reasons-lose-just-10.)

And let's face it, losing weight (when you are already overweight), just feels good.  I appreciate it when I can walk up a flight of stairs and not get winded.  I like it when I am able to fit better into my clothes!  It's aesthetically more pleasing to walk around in a body that is healthy and fit!  So I am looking forward to getting closer to my goals for many reasons!

The Dr. Oz website also commented on the bonus of feeling better by way of your kidneys & liver: 
"Your omentum is the pouch that contains your belly fat. The extra weight you are carrying on your omentum begins to squeeze your kidneys. Your blood pressure raises and your liver fattens; the accumulation of this fat characterizes nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. This added weight leaves your liver unable to process toxins. Over time, your liver hardens, and scar tissue begins to build up to replace liver cells. This scarring is called cirrhosis, which leaves you feeling tired and groggy.  Weight loss will allow your liver to recover. As it repairs itself, it decreases the toxins in your body. You’ll see changes in how you feel and behave." (Retrieved October 14, 2012 from http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/10-reasons-lose-just-10?page=3#copy).
There are so many benefits associated with getting to a healthier weight!  What are your top ten reasons?

Well it's time for me to get into my afternoon routine.  I hope to get to the gym today and get some work done on the computer.  Keep working toward your goals!  You are worth it! 

Have a healthy, happy Sunday!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Join this site! Click on the link on the right hand side of your screen.
Click HERE for additional Weight/Nutrition/Health resources.
Click HERE for Hep C resources.

No comments:

Post a Comment