Thursday, October 18, 2012

Week 2 Continued: Most Effective Interventions,...

 I always love the dramatic sunsets that liven up my drive home from work!

Days 2 & 3 of week two have been uneventful.  I am starting to feel like the HMR program is just part of my usual routine already.  I am building confidence that I can incorporate phase I of this program into my life for 14 (now 13) weeks.  But I do maintain a dose of skepticism: Will I feel the same way at week 4?  Week 8?  Week 10?

Tomorrow evening is my second official meeting at the clinic.  I am actually looking forward to the weekly meeting, nurse consult, and weigh in, believe it or not.  I am not yet used to the Monday morning call in, which is required before 10:30am.  I had early morning meetings and forgot to fit it in, so I ended up checking in late via phone and email that day.  Aside from the nutritional component, this program utilizes a comprehensive behavioral approach to weight loss.  In fact, it incorporates the 2012 recommendations of the U.S. Preventative Services Task Force (USPSTF) for the effective treatment of obesity: 
"The USPSTF found that the most effective interventions were comprehensive and were of high intensity (12 to 26 sessions in a year). Although the USPSTF could not determine the effectiveness of other specific intervention components, most of the higher-intensity behavioral interventions included multiple behavioral management activities, such as group sessions, individual sessions, setting weight-loss goals, improving diet or nutrition, physical activity sessions, addressing barriers to change, active use of self-monitoring, and strategizing how to maintain lifestyle changes.Weight-loss outcomes improved when interventions involved more sessions (12 to 26 sessions in the first year)." (Retrieved October 17, 2012 from http://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/uspstf11/obeseadult/obesers.htm.)
As much as I may not want to go meetings on a regular basis or pick up that phone on Monday to check in, I know, as a psychologist, that I, too, need to give in and comply with treatment if I want this intervention to be successful.  I am very motivated to do so right now.
 Well, it's late and appears to be "tuck time", according to my crew.  Time to call it a day.

May you have a restful sleep and a morning full of pep!     

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Don't forget to join this site!
Click on the "Join This Site" link on the right hand side of your screen.
Click HERE for additional Weight/Nutrition/Health resources.
Click HERE for Hep C resources.

No comments:

Post a Comment