Saturday, October 13, 2012

Day 5: Spicing it Up!

I am enjoying Day 5!  (But of course I am; it is my day off!)  
Breakfast consisted of oatmeal and coffee,... 
I made a stop to my office to get some paperwork done and headed out to shop for spices and flavorings! Following a lead from friends on the HMR plan, I first headed to Smart & Final (Grocery Store).  I was told they have a wide selection of sugar free Torani syrups (typically used to flavor coffee).  If you purchase 6 or more 750ml bottles, the price is $3.75 each.  That lead paid off!  They had quite the selection!

This will certainly spice up my vanilla shakes!  I think my brother, Dan, first introduced me to Torani years ago.  I didn't realize they had such a wide selection of sugar-free options!  
I stocked up on a variety of flavors: Chocolate, Chocolate Macadamia Nut, Classic Caramel, Coconut, Coffee, Peppermint, Raspberry, Strawberry, & White Chocolate!  I also purchased a variety of spices, tea, extracts, and sugar-free gum.  I am ready to start creating some new HMR-friendly concoctions!  This makes the whole dieting thing kind of fun!  In fact, when I came home, I made a pumpkin shake with water, HMR vanilla shake powder, pumpkin spice, and ice-cubes blended.  Then I added a touch of nutmeg.  ("Mmmm, nutmeg.")
I tried a new entree for lunch: Beef Stroganoff with Noodles. My friend wasn't fond of this one, but liked it.  The portion was not huge.  On the other hand, I ate lunch late (3pm) and so it didn't help that I was hungry.  
  This evening I practiced violin and then watched a movie with some friends,...
   ...brought my HMR-friendly foods & had a really nice time.  (I still want to believe that Thelma & Louise made it!)

Reflecting on yesterday's meeting, one lesson stressed was not to get too hungry.  If you are hungry, eat!  Eat the HMR foods, of course, but eat!  It is easy to believe that if we eat less than the minimum amounts required that we will lose weight faster.  That is not the case.  As counter-intuitive as it feels, we need to eat more at times, not restrict too much, and not allow ourselves to become too hungry, or the body's metabolism will slow down.  We also begin to lose the ability to act rationally in terms of making healthy eating choices when we allow ourselves to become too hungry.  The focus should be on eating more of the lower calorie, healthier choices.

Well, that is about all I have time for this evening.

Make the most of your day, spice it up from time to time, & savor the good!          

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
To join this site, click on the "Join This Site" link on the right hand side of your screen.
Click HERE for additional Weight/Nutrition/Health resources.
Click HERE for Hep C resources.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent idea to put SF syrup into the vanilla shakes. You'll have to let me know how the coconut is. :-) Love "Thelma and Louise" I hope your belief is right and that they did survive going over the cliff.

    You're doing great, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Babs! I did try the coconut, just for you! :) I will write about it in my next post.

      Delete