Sunday, January 22, 2012

Introduction

DESCRIPTION:
This is a blog about making a commitment to 90-days of healthy habits.  Originally I intended to write a blog about Hepatitis C and making lifestyle changes to promote good health.  There are a limited number of blogs in cyberspace on this topic.  But then I thought, there are so many people out there with various health issues who really want to make some changes.  Even those who are relatively healthy can benefit from a commitment of healthy habits.  This blog is both a diary of my journey over the next 90+ days, as well as a tool for anyone who wishes to incorporate healthy habits into their life.  I hope you will join me on this journey.  I think it could be motivating AND fun!


ABOUT ME:
I was first diagnosed with Chronic Hepatitis C (otherwise known as Hep C or HCV) in 2009, after bouts of unexplained chronic fatigue and joint aches.  I really just thought I had an extended flu bug, or that my weight was once again catching up with me.  My doctor called me at home with the news and his condolences: “I’m really sorry”.  A wave of fear came over me.  There were so many unknowns, and I began digesting all of the written information on HCV that I could.  I attended seminars by leading hepatologists in the field.  Although treatment, similar to what cancer patients receive, was available at the time, the medical experts agreed that there was “no cure”.  I had heard things like “Hepatitis C is the leading cause of liver cancer” and told that the disease will likely shorten my lifespan.  My genotype (1a), coupled with my high viral load, length of time infected (likely about 25 years), and high BMI put me in a category of someone unlikely to have a positive response to treatment.  So even though I could choose to go through a year-long process of ribavirin pills and weekly interferon shots with very nasty side effects (flu-like symptoms, fever, fatigue, hair loss, anemia, rash, headaches, depression, confusion & other cognitive problems, etc.), l was given only about a 35-40% chance of responding favorably to treatment.  I didn’t like those odds.     

Here’s some of the good news!  Many people diagnosed with Hep C die with Hep C, not from Hep C.  There ARE a lot of things people with Hep C can do to live healthier longer.  That includes losing weight, limiting alcohol consumption, quitting smoking, eating a liver-friendly diet, and exercising.  And most exciting in the treatment side of things, a new drug (called a protease inhibitor) has been recently approved by the FDA.   Adding this newer drug to the ribavirin/interferon standard of care treatment has proven to be more effective.  The length of treatment with the protease inhibitor added has been cut in half (6 months as opposed to 1 year for most patients).  My chances of curing the disease have increased from about 40% to about 70% with the new drug.  I like those odds much better!

My concerns, complaints, whines & considerations about treatment:
  • Not everyone with Hep C needs treatment.  Many people with Hep C can live a normal life without many complications from Hep C.  For others, Hep C can lead to serious liver complications, which can be fatal. 
  • There are serious side effects from treatment.  Although memory and other cognitive problems are not one of the better documented side effects, if you spend any length of time visiting HCV support groups or discussing side effects with others who have been through treatment, you will likely find that to be common complaint.  For a psychologist, the thought of increasing the chances of memory/cognitive impairments is frightening.  On the other hand, as my doctor reminds me, it is almost guaranteed that a person with a severely damaged liver will suffer cognitive impairments.  If the liver cannot filter the blood, there will be a negative impact on brain functioning.  So keeping the liver healthy is vital. 
  • Another concern I have about starting treatment was the fact that I am fairly newly licensed and have been at my place of employment for less than 3 years.  I do not want to take a significant amount of time off of work due to illness. 
  • Being overweight can have a negative impact on treatment effectiveness.  My chances of clearing the virus on treatment will increase if I can lower my BMI. 
  • The current standard of care treatment regimen is very new; less than a year since FDA approval.  Long-term side effects are not well known.   
  • Vanity: I don’t want to lose my hair!  And even if I don’t lose it altogether, I cannot afford for it to get any thinner than it already is.  Sigh,…         

There are a lot of things to consider.  But all in all, treatment options for people with Hep C are improving.  So why take the risk of talking about something so personal in a blog?  In part, much like the issues people face when they they are obese, or for people seeking mental health services, those who deal with having a diagnosis of HepC are often faced with stigma and fear.  Silence = shame.  I want to help combat the lack of education and stigma associated with this disease by openly discussing it on this forum.  The same can be said for future discussions on this blog that focus on obesity.  As well, I want to share my journey over the next 90+ days to help keep me motivated and accountable.  If anyone else takes anything positive away from my blog, even better!

Having a diagnosis of Hepatitis C & facing the possibility of a shortened lifespan can be scary.  However, certain lifestyle changes can help keep you healthy longer.  That can probably be said of most anyone dealing with any number of chronic health condition.  I am a psychologist diagnosed w/Hep C.  I am also a human being who understands some of the challenges of making healthy choices.  My goal is to commit to 90-days of improving habits.  Hope you join me!   

DISCLAIMER: This blog is for personal purposes, as well as to be educational, motivating, entertaining, and informative.  It is not a substitute for professional medical, psychiatric or psychological advice.  If you decide to use any of the information in this blog, you are doing so at your own risk.   

No comments:

Post a Comment