Sunday, January 22, 2012

8 Days and Counting,...

I want to be healthier.  I just don’t always want to do the work it takes to get there!  So I need a little extra motivation these days.  The gym I belong to is sponsoring a 90-day fitness challenge.  I thought that would be the perfect excuse to dive in.  The first weigh-in will be on Monday, January 30th.  That will be my start date.

Why not start today?  Through my own experiences, I have learned that if I am making a serious commitment to a lifestyle change, it helps to prepare.  Planning & preparation is what helped me finally quit smoking for good, about 16 years ago.  I had “quit” several times prior, but never usually for more than short periods of time.  Part of what worked for me was telling family and friends about my plan to quit on a certain date.  At least I told the people whom I interacted with most and who I thought would most likely be supportive.  I prepared by stocking up the house with healthy foods.  I mentally prepared for how I would handle triggers/situations where I was more likely to smoke, such as in the car, after a meal, or around others who smoked.  I had a plan in place and when the time came, although it wasn’t easy, I was determined and prepared.  I don’t think I could have followed through otherwise.  So similarly, I didn’t want to join a 90-day fitness challenge on a whim, only to drop out a week later.  I set the date out in advance so I can mentally and physically prepare, as I want to increase the chances that I will follow through with this goal.

I have made a lot of improvements in my lifestyle over the past several years, but there are definitely areas in which I could afford to make changes.  I am not looking for perfection, by any means.  I just want to make enough changes to make a difference in my life.  
One area in which I want to improve on is my weight.  My highest recorded weight was on August 6, 2010.  I weighed 245.2.  With a height of 5’2”, that put my BMI at about 44.8.  In other words, “obese”.  (Calculate your BMI here:  http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/)

I lost a little weight on my own.  Then I had large volume liposuction on 8/25/10.  Not everyone believes in cosmetic surgery, and that is okay.  I am not promoting surgery.  But I do have to stress that for me, I will never regret having liposuction.  I was very fortunate to be able to have the procedure done.  And it helped to have a fantastic surgeon.  My body shape was very disproportionate prior to surgery.  I was bottom heavy and it was very difficult to find clothes that fit.  Tops were always too big and bottoms were too small/never fit right.  (If I purchased a large top, I would need a 3X in slacks.)  I often worried about being able to sit in chairs or airplane seats because too often I just didn’t fit.  The surgery left me with a much more evenly proportioned contour.  I no longer needed a seatbelt extension when I traveled by plane.  I could finally buy coordinate top & bottom outfits in the same size!  I did not go into the surgery with unrealistic expectations.  It’s not a weight loss procedure.  And I was so very pleased with the results.  One side effect I didn’t fully anticipate was the level of motivation it left me with to lose more weight.  For the first time in a long time, I felt good about my physical appearance.  By 5/14/11, I dropped down to 198.2.  That is a 47 lb loss.  I hit a weight loss plateau, give or take 5 lbs, for quite a while, but was generally satisfied with where I was at.  On 10/22/11, I weighed in at 192.2.  Weight loss total: 53 lbs!    

So here’s the rub: I have been slacking on my diet and exercise program.  I have gained weight back and the scale has tipped back over the 200 lb mark.  It’s time to get serious.  I worked too hard to lose what I did and I don’t gain it all back.    

The ETOH Factor:  I grew up in Wisconsin.  Forgive my stereotype, but Wisconsinites know how to drink!  I will admit that I do appreciate a good wine w/pasta, or an ice-cold beer with pizza.  When I drink alcohol, my food cravings increase and I am likely to overeat.  Alcohol, in itself, is full of empty calories.  While a glass or two of red wine can have health benefits, drinking in excess can increase health problems.  For people with Hep C, even moderate amounts of alcohol can have serious negative consequences. Limiting or eliminating alcohol is probably the single most important factor in slowing down the progression of Hep C.       


These are my goals for this 90-day challenge:

  1. Exercise aerobically for at least 30 minutes, 3 or more times per week.   
  2. Make healthy eating choices at least 80% of the time.
  3. Limit alcohol intake to 2 or less servings per week.       


No comments:

Post a Comment